Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Be Still and Know that I am God...

WOW. Floods, Cyclones, Bush fires, Earthquakes, even bigger earthquakes, Tsunamis. It seems like the world is falling apart. With all this happening around us we tend to become afraid. What's going to happen next? Where is it going to be? Will we be next? One of the things which people are most afraid of is the unknown and with all which is going on we feel unprotected and vulnerable.

BUT we don't have any reason to feel unprotected. As the psalmist says in Psalm 46:1-3. "God is our refuge and strength an ever present help in trouble, Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way (earthquakes), and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea (even bigger earthquakes), though it's waters roar and foam (tsunamis and floods) and the mountains quake at their surging". We can really see that a comforting. Although the world is falling apart with disasters all around us, we can cling to the knowledge that our God will be strong for us and protect us. Nothing will happen to us without his will.

Further into the psalm (vs. 6,7) "Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall (all the civil unrest in Egypt, Lybia and other countries in the area); he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The LORD almighty is with us; The God of Jacob is our fortress. The world may no longer seem like a safe place and there may be calamity all around us but we can be assured that our God is a strong hold and a fortress. We know that God will keep us safe.

Of the whole psalm vs. 10 is probably my favorite verse: He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  Be still - we cant achieve anything by worrying or by trying to take control of the situation. Be still - rest in the knowledge that the Lord is in control of everything. Know that our God, because he is God, is in control of everything.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... just saw your blog for the first time, and since it kept my brain awake, I read through the whole thing. I couldn't find any comments though, so thought I should leave one - at least you'll know your blog is being read.

    Thanks for taking the time to write everything here, and being prepared to put down what you believe. I have tried (multiple times) to start my own blog, but have never had the courage or willpower to put everything down on (virtual) paper like this. Keep it up!

    Re: Be still and know... it's sometimes good to be reminded that things are out of human control. I know that it's at the times when I feel least in control of what's happening around me that I am reminded every day that God our Father is in control of everything that happens: in my life, and in everyone's lives. The feeling of having now control is what shakes you out of your comfort zone ('new shoes'!).

    - Matt V.

    ReplyDelete